Thursday, March 20, 2014

Baking Soda & Peroxide

After seeing this posted several times, I decided to give it a try on my toaster oven.  Like I've said before, I'm not the neatest person so you can probably imagine what the toaster looked like before I cleaned it.  Caked on burnt pieces of food that have been sitting in there.  Ew.  Everything I've read says to just mix it into a paste and leave on for a few hours.  The waiting is the hardest part cause you really want to see if it works.


I was NOT very patient with the toaster oven.  Waiting only a half hour and checking.  It didn't work the way I had imagined.  It didn't just wipe off, I had to scrub and reapply, then scrub and reapply several times before I got the toaster oven to a reasonable state.  Unfortunately, some of the coating on the metal was eaten away either by the mixture or my scrubbing.

To show you another example I had a tray that was also in dire need of cleaning.  I actually did wash it with soap and water before taking this picture.
I made the paste and let it sit on the cruddiest parts.
Two and a half hours later using a scouring pad I scrubbed the pasted off.  I didn't scrub a lot because it's supposed to wipe off.
Yeah, doesn't really look any different.

Maybe I am doing something wrong, but you can clearly see that it's not that easy.  And I'm not about to let it on there all day long.  I just don't have enough patience or counter space for that.  It did work well as a cleaner when I used it in the toaster oven.  I didn't make the paste, it was a lot runnier and I just dipped the sponge into it and used the scrubby side and the crud came off easier than the other products I tried.  I did a test with Scrubbing Bubbles, the baking soda & peroxide mix, and a wet sponge and dish detergent.  It seems like the baking soda & peroxide does help break down the baked on grease, but you do have to use some elbow grease to get it off.



No comments:

Post a Comment