Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Something I could give up - forever

This is something I was hoping to keep hidden, but I realize that if I want to do something about it, I should probably admit it.

I smoke.

There, I said it.

Maybe it's not a big deal for some or a huge deal for others, but it's something that bothers ME.  I WANT to quit, I'm READY to quit.  I just don't know if I'm ready to quit FOR GOOD.

Over the past year I've been thinking hard about quitting, it's something I really want to do.  It's not something I want my daughter thinking is normal.  And do you know how EMBARRASSING it is to be smoking outside your car while your kid is strapped inside?  Ugh.  I want to enjoy my life without the constant need to feed my addiction.

Thinking about this has made me realize a few things:
  1. I blame others for influencing me when really, I am the one who is weak when it comes to my smoking.
  2. I need to STOP pressuring myself to do it FOR GOOD.  It keeps me from trying.
  3. I DO need positive support to help keep me on track and a good plan to help me quit.
So what do I plan on doing about this?  I plan on quitting, but not with the idea of forever.  I am going to reward myself for the time I do accomplish, if it's one week or the rest of my life.  I can't beat myself up if I fail, but I can always try again and again.

If you need help quitting, I do suggest taking a look at these sites.  They helped me when I quit before and I plan on using them again this time around.

HelpGuide - Helps you build a custom plan for you, identifies your triggers, coping tricks for withdrawal symptoms, and goes over different smoking cessation aids.

American Cancer Society - Reviews mental and physical addiction, different methods to quit, planning, withdrawal, long term success, and much more.  This site also reviews the benefits to your body over certain periods of time like I mentioned above.

I'm not just going to say I'm going to do it.  I AM going to do it.  Here's my plan:

Start Date: Friday April 11 - Why am I waiting till Friday?  I need my husband here to take care of my daughter.  I don't want to be frustrated and take it out on her.

Announcement:  I'm going to tell EVERYONE.  A Facebook post should suffice.  Why?  So I can feel accountable and get the support I need.

My Plan for Challenges:

  • I'm going to curb my cravings by: washing my hands, walking, brushing my teeth, eat mints, write, and avoid the bar(that shouldn't be hard since I almost never drink).
  • I'm gonna take naps with my daughter again.  Quitting wipes me out, so I need to remember to recharge with a little nappy poo.
  • I'm gonna make it clear to my husband how I need him to support me.  He's a party pooper and doesn't want to join me, so this is going to be a big obstacle.
Removing tobacco:  Since my husband smokes, this will be hard.  I might have to ask him to keep them in the car or lock them up.  Or hide them from me.  Or all of the above.

Rewarding my accomplishments:  I am going to make a list of things I want and spend the money I would have on cigarettes and buy something else!

I am excited to try again, but also scared.  This is something that has become ingrained in my daily routine and will be hard to not do, but I know that there are so many more things to look forward to when I have achieved success.





8 comments:

  1. Best of luck...remember, take it a minute at a time...every smokefree minute is another victory!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support. This change means a lot to me.

      Delete
  2. Good for you! This is a hard hurtle to get over, BUT you can get over it!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like anything else we get addicted to - you can beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel. I finally quit 9 weeks ago. It was difficult, but it was worth it. I still crave them, but I have learned to take my mind off of them and do something else....let's just say my house is REALLY clean now! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, yeah my house is getting that way.

      Delete
  5. How's it going? I'm the only one in my family who doesn't/hasn't smoked. I've seen first-hand how difficult quitting can be. I hope you are making good progress, and if not I hope you are forgiving yourself and getting ready to try again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your encouragement. It was going ok and I managed to get comfortable with it fairly quick this time, but things got quite stressful and I couldn't keep up. Now that things are settling down, I am going to try again within the next few weeks. I'll never quit trying.

      Delete